FIT Travel Award Available for Clinician-Educator Program
A $2600 travel award ($1300 from Michigan ACC + $1300 from national ACC) is available for one Michigan fellow-in-training (FIT) to attend the Teaching Tomorrow's Teachers (3T) program at ACC's Big Sky Cardiology Update in Big Sky, Montana. The ideal candidate is an adult general cardiology fellow (1st-3rd year) who is interested in medical education.
3T is a "meeting within a meeting" designed to provide FITs with core training in presentation delivery, public speaking, and feedback. Participants work directly with faculty mentors and have the opportunity to attend sessions that offer the latest scientific updates from a breadth of cardiology experts.
The recipient of the travel award will:
1. Attend a "presenter bootcamp" at the beginning of the course, to sharpen skills, deliver an effective presentation, speak publicly, and receive meaningful feedback.
2. Partner with a master educator to deliver a brief case presentation to the live course audience.
3. Engage with recognized clinician-educators in a Master Educator Seminar Series that will facilitate clinician-educator career development in areas such as educational leadership and scholarship.
4. Be asked to share "lessons learned" by presenting at a meeting of Michigan FITs in 2019 or 2020 (time and date TBD).
The travel award will support travel, lodging, and expenses to attend the first 4 days of the Big Sky conference and participate in the 3T programming. Recipients are expected to attend the FIT Welcome and Dinner on Sunday, February 17, 2019, and may choose to attend the last day of the Big Sky conference at his/her own expense, but the 3T program formally concludes on Thursday morning, February 21.
Send the following application components to Alice Betz (firstname.lastname@example.org) by close of business on Friday, October 5.
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Letter of recommendation from your Cardiology Fellowship Program Director including support to attend the 3T program if selected.
3. Brief one-page candidate statement of interest (limited to 500 words) addressing the following:
Background and experience as a medical educator.
Your vision for a career as a future clinician-educator.
Description of how attending the conference will facilitate your career aspirations.